Looking Back on the June 27th Chapter Meeting
(Thanks again to Don Harrington for reporting on this meeting while YeEd is in Alaska.)
After a great warm -up, we jumped right into our newest song, "Blow, Gabriel, Blow." Good thing the All Sections rehearsal last Saturday was well attended, because the pace is accelerating and the excitement is building. Next, we worked on "The More I See You."
Special guest was Doug Carnes, director of the BHS Great Northern Union chapter, in town to join Joe, the PRATT STREE POWER quartet and others to promote singing at several venues, including the U.S. Congress this week. We enjoyed singing with other guests, including two first time guests.
Chapter Secretary Chris Buechler delivered membership renewal cards to Ike Evans (30 years), Ian Poulin (17 years) and Steve Szyszka. Last week, Stan Quick received his card for 6 years.
EDITOR NOTE:Â The following bulleted announcements were also distributed by Stan Quick through groupanizer.
· No rehearsal/ chapter meeting next Tuesday (July 4)
· If you are going to HU, be sure you have signed up for classes. Lots of information is being sent out by email from the various instructors and coaches to help you prepare.
· Watch your email Thursday - the BHS is preparing to send a big announcement.
· Operations Director, Mike Edison, is trying to find a new, permanent rehearsal space instead of Durant. Please contact Mike if you have an idea.
· A group of 8-10 alumni of Vickie Dennis's private vocal instruction (PVI) got together to do a brief progress & feedback session with Vickie. She ended by having the group sing 30 seconds in their old way, then had them sing using the suggestions she had given each guy individually. The result was a much improved unit sound. If you're wondering if a PVI session may help our chorus, the answer is a resounding "yes".
Congratulations to Josh DesPortes who was back on the risers after his recent wedding. Bob Rhome was the lucky winner of 50-50. Thanks, Alan Wile and Walt Page. You are doing s superb job collecting contributions! Thanks to also to Jeff Burkey, Sandy Stamps, Kellen Hertz and others who stepped up to provide refreshments in Jack Pitzer's absence, and thanks to Jack, who takes the lead on this week after week.
After substantial work on 'I Was Here" and the Chicago medley, which will be performed, but not rehearsed, at Harmony University, Â the meeting ended with the guests being called to the front and treated to a performance of "There Must Be a City."
In other news - Alan Wile reports these Harmonizers and former Harmonizers were at this year’s Harmony College East, held for the first time on campus at McDaniel College in Westminster MD, June 16-17: Steve Guy, Joe Cerutti, Gary Plaag, Mike Louque, John Santora, Drew Fuller, Dean Sherrick, Mike Fasano, Mike Kelly, Bob Hirsh, Bob Eckman, Gary Bibens, Bill Colosimo, Dennis Ritchey and of course Alan.
Until next time – editorjack!
(This message is prepared for your review if you were there, for your information if you had to miss, and as a historical record of the great things going on each week during the 70th year of the Alexandria Harmonizer Chapter. —YeEd